See more details here.
Have you ever heard of activated charcoal? Chances are you have. This Black Magic, as it is nicknamed, dates back to 1500 BC and came to fame for treating poisonings. This is only one reason it’s the ideal addition to your natural medicine cabinet. I’m excited to teach you How to Use Activated Charcoal…
Activated charcoal is an odorless, tasteless, non-toxic, fine black powder. Activated charcoal is well-documented in medical literature and adsorbs (not absorbs) chemicals, toxins, and poisons in the body (usually before they can do harm!).
Adsorption is the chemical process in the body where toxins bind to a surface (activated charcoal). Its porous surface and negative electrical charge create a chemical reaction in the body and bind to toxins.
Warning: This stuff is messy. It will easily wash out of a sink or your shower, but take caution not to spill it down in any crevices or grout. It will be extremely difficult to clean up.
How to Use Activated Charcoal
1. Emergency poisoning (drugs, bleach, metals, aspirin, etc.) – It’s kept in the ER for this exact reason. This is why it’s important to have some on hand. We keep this one in our home. NOTE: Always call 911 in the event of any poisoning as they are trained in the exact amount needed to properly treat a poisoning.
2. As a tooth whitener – Add it to your DIY or natural toothpaste to remove stains from chocolate, berries, and wine. It actually changes the pH of your mouth to prevent decay, bad breath, and periodontal disease. Or, try this paste which has charcoal on its ingredient list. Consider brushing in the shower so you don’t make a mess! NOTE: Do not use more than once per week and exercise caution around dental work, such as veneers and crowns, as staining may occur.
3. Reduces gas and bloating – It can bind to and alleviate gas if taken one hour prior to a meal. That said, it’s not an excuse to eat poorly, but we all have occasions where having some on hand can be useful. 500mg capsules (like this) taken prior to eating should do the trick!
4. Eliminates mold – Did you know mold can actually live in your body? It can cause depression, liver and kidney failure, impaired immunity, respiratory illness, as well as a host of other serious issues. Leaks and poor ventilation in the home can exacerbate mold growth. Exercise caution when cleaning mold. Always wear a mask and gloves and never use bleach! I use Thieves Cleaner, which works and smells great. I also diffuse each room of our house for 24-48 hours with Thieves essential oil when we move in somewhere, as it will kill mold.
5. Air and water filtration – Activated charcoal can pull impurities such as pesticides, some fluoride and industrial waste out of water. It can pull gases and VOC’s out of the air (with the right system). Berkey makes great counter top water systems. This one is great for the whole house and is so nice as it makes all faucets drinking quality and eliminates need for shower filters!
6. Digestive cleansing – It is possible charcoal is the most effective GI decontaminant out there! Add 10 grams 60-90 minutes prior to each meal during digestive cleaning to help remove unwanted toxins, which contribute to poor health (allergies, immune function, etc).
7. Reduces high cholesterol – Check out (this study) where total cholesterol decreased by 25 percent, LDL cholesterol decreased by 41 percent, while HDL increased by 8 percent, in four weeks. This means bad cholesterol went down as effectively as prescription medications! NOTE: Take charcoal away from medications as it may have affect on absorption.
8. Helps with skin irritations – I have heard story after story where mamas have used a mix of baking soda (or coconut oil) and charcoal topically on their kiddo’s after a nasty spider bite (or other bug bites). Not only do they state the toxins were drawn out but there was also no scar!
9. Anti-aging – Charcoal prevents oxidation and cellular damage when included in cleansing. It can bind to heavy metals and other toxins and keep the liver, kidneys, and adrenals healthy. NOTE: Make sure channels of elimination are open and working well when cleansing. You need to be eliminating and sweating to properly rid of toxins. If this is a challenge, use infrared sauna and enema buckets or colonics as part of your healing process.
10. Beautiful skin – My favorite use! Charcoal Soap: Washing your face with a quality activated charcoal soap removes excess oil, dirt, and makeup that most cleansers leave behind. Plus, if you get the right bar, it doesn’t include any toxins at all, so you aren’t adding to your toxic load. I use the Beautycounter Charcoal Cleansing Bar every single evening. It doesn’t dry out your skin while detoxifying because it rehydrates your skin with organic coconut and sunflower seed oils while cleansing it. Other commercial face
cleansers (and even other activated charcoal bars!) contain parabens and synthetic fragrances, antioxidants, and dyes that actually add to the toxins your skin absorbs! What’s the point of that? It even clears up acne and pimples without all the harsh, scary toxins. It reduces the size of your pores, and since activated charcoal detoxifies, it removes the buildup of chemicals that cause premature aging. I also use it on my body every other day to assist in removing toxins. They always sell out of this amazing soap, so if you want some, grab a bar right now!
Charcoal Face Mask: I just started using this one and not only is it FUN to have a little home spa session, but this stuff is like skin care magic! A mineral-rich mix of kaolin clay and charcoal, it works to gently exfoliate, draw out impurities, and soothe your skin. It also helps improve skin’s overall condition by refining the appearance of pores and increasing elasticity. The charcoal face mask is also VERY popular, you can learn more about it here.
- Activated Charcoal is messy – exercise caution!
- Exercise caution with use and medications.
- This is not intended to be used as medical advice. This is just my research and experience. Always consult with your MD or Naturopath before undergoing any new protocol or supplement use!
- Always follow exact dosage as described on bottle.
CLICK HERE to Pin this Post:
Melissa Schollaert is a Holistic Health & Nutrition Counselor and founder of Real Nutritious Living. Helping others achieve their health goals to attain their healthiest, happiest life is her greatest ambition.PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. However, I only recommend products or services I have personally used myself and trust. MEDICAL DISCLAIMER: This content is not intended to diagnose or treat any disease, or as a substitute for medical advice. Please consult with your advising physician before starting any treatment for a medical condition. Real Nutritious Living, LLC shall not be held liable or responsible for any misunderstanding or misuse of the information contained on this site or for any loss, damage, or injury caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly by any treatment, action, or application of any food or food source discussed in this site.