I may receive a commission if you purchase something mentioned in this post.
See more details here.
See more details here.
Last week, I brought you the health benefits of elderberry. This week, as promised, I wanted to bring you the first simple DIY elderberry recipe to save you money and boost your health and wellness. Read on and learn how to make and use elderberry syrup at home…
One of the most popular and simple recipes you can make to boost immunity is Elderberry Syrup. It’s so simple to make and its uses are really versatile.
Elderberry Syrup Recipe
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (like this)
- 1 thumb fresh ginger (1 tsp ginger powder or 2 drops ginger essential oil)
- 1 cinnamon stick (or 2 drops cinnamon essential oil)
- Combine all ingredients, except honey, and blend well.
- Pour into medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 45 minutes or until liquid has decreased by about half.
- Remove from heat and strain. I recommend using a cheesecloth.
- Once the mixture is lukewarm, stir in honey.
- Mix well and keep in a glass container in the fridge. It will last several months.
How to Use
- Adult dose: 1/2 T- 1 T every 2-3 hours until symptoms subside
- Kids dose: 1/2 tsp-1 tsp every 3 hours until symptoms subside
- Add to or in place of pancake syrup (I recommend holding the turmeric if this is the case!) for fluffy grain-free pancakes
- Add to yogurt, smoothies, and oatmeal
- Make into ice cubes and add to water, tea, or lemonade
- Stir into your favorite tea
- Give your condiments a boost by adding in 1/4 tsp at a time to taste
- Drizzle over fruit or ice cream
- Swirl in orange juice to make a ‘Purple Sunrise’
CLICK HERE to Pin this Recipe:
Melissa Schollaert is a Holistic Health & Nutrition Counselor and founder of Real Nutritious Living. Helping others achieve their health goals to attain their healthiest, happiest life is her greatest ambition.PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. However, I only recommend products or services I have personally used myself and trust. MEDICAL DISCLAIMER: This content is not intended to diagnose or treat any disease, or as a substitute for medical advice. Please consult with your advising physician before starting any treatment for a medical condition. Real Nutritious Living, LLC shall not be held liable or responsible for any misunderstanding or misuse of the information contained on this site or for any loss, damage, or injury caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly by any treatment, action, or application of any food or food source discussed on this site.
10 thoughts on “How to Make and Use Elderberry Syrup”
I LOVE elerberry syrup! And my grandkids wanted to drink it up!
Me too! That’s so awesome your grandkids love it too!
We love homemade elderberry syrup in our house! I just made it into gummy bears and that’s what i use for my daughters advent calendar 😀
Oh what a great idea!
We too love homemade elderberry syrup! It is one natural solution my children don’t mind taking!
Thank goodness for something they like it! It’s so helpful!
Love how easy this is to make! Such a great way to boost health and wellness during this time of year!
Easy is important or else, who has the time? Thank you Jessica!