See more details here.
This time of the year, there’s nothing like a spicy snack. Ok, maybe any time of the year 😉 I really enjoy foods with a kick.
I was pursuing the aisles of my favorite health food store, saw some shishitos, and thought of the delicious (but goodness what kind of scary ingredients are probably in them?) appetizers I’ve had, and thought….YES…I can do healthy, spicy, delicious shishito peppers with creamy sriracha sauce!
Unlike jalapenos and habaneros, these peppers are only mildly spicy, making them a good substitute for dishes requiring fewer amounts of spice. They’re particularly high in vitamin K, vitamin B6, and vitamin C content. It is said that one out of every 10 shishito peppers is spicy.
And….they taste good. This is also a simple and fun dish for entertaining or alongside your favorite stir-fry.
Shishito Peppers with Creamy Sriracha Sauce
- 1 package shishito peppers
- 1 T avocado oil
- Half a lemon
- A generous amount of sea salt
Creamy Sriracha Sauce:
- 3 T Plain Greek Yogurt, coconut cream, or coconut milk (see notes)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (if using yogurt)
- 1 T coconut aminos
- 1-2 T clean sriracha (like this)
- In a bowl, mix peppers with avocado oil and coat well.
- Arrange peppers in a pan over medium/high heat and sear about 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove from heat and toss with pink salt, lemon juice, and sauce.
- To make the sauce: Combine coconut milk (or another choice), sriracha, coconut aminos, and sriracha. Add salt and pepper if desired.
- I prefer the coconut milk or coconut cream to yogurt as the yogurt can be a bit chalky if it gets too hot.
- Don’t be tempted to skip the apple cider vinegar!
- I recommend adding peppers in a separate bowl and adding sauce away from the heat of the pan so the yogurt doesn’t overheat.
Pour a glass of your favorite clean wine (here’s mine) and enjoy!
CLICK HERE to Pin this Recipe:
Melissa Schollaert is a Holistic Health & Nutrition Counselor and founder of Real Nutritious Living. Helping others achieve their health goals to attain their healthiest, happiest life is her greatest ambition.PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. However, I only recommend products or services I have personally used myself and trust. MEDICAL DISCLAIMER: This content is not intended to diagnose or treat any disease, or as a substitute for medical advice. Please consult with your advising physician before starting any treatment for a medical condition. Real Nutritious Living, LLC shall not be held liable or responsible for any misunderstanding or misuse of the information contained on this site or for any loss, damage, or injury caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly by any treatment, action, or application of any food or food source discussed on this site.