See more details here.
If you’re trying to get pregnant, you may wonder what can boost your fertility. But it’s also important to know what can harm your chances of trying to conceive! Are EMF’s preventing you from getting pregnant?
What EMF stands for:
EMF stands for electromagnetic fields (EMFs). The two types of EMF exposure include high and low frequency radiation.
Low frequency radiation have lower frequency, visible light and are non-ionizing radiation. Examples include: cell phones, blue tooth, microwaves, WiFi, power lines and computers.
High frequency radiation have higher frequencies and are ionizing radiation. These would include UV, Gamma and x-rays.
Essentially, electromagnetic fields аrе аrеаѕ оf еnеrgу thаt ѕurrоund electronic dеviсеѕ. Thе World Hеаlth Organization (WHO) explains that еlесtriс fiеldѕ аrе created by differences in vоltаgе and mаgnеtiс fields are created whеn thе electric сurrеnt flоwѕ.
Also, aссоrding to the WHO, electromagnetic fiеldѕ аffесt us bесаuѕе they interfere with our bodies, which have thеir own еlесtriс аnd biосhеmiсаl responses (e.g. nеrvоuѕ ѕуѕtеm, digеѕtiоn, brain funсtiоn, heart funсtiоn).
Are EMF’s dangerous?
Too much radiation can be harmful, particularly too much high frequency radiation, such as UV rays, and x-rays harm health. Practical examples of this would be getting a sunburn from or how an x-ray technician will always ask if we are pregnant as not to harm baby.
With regard to EMf dangers, the lower frequency radiation is what is in question. The “symptoms” of lower frequency radiation tend to be more subtle.
Commonly reported symptoms to EMF’s (source):
- Sleep disturbance/insomnia
- Depression/depressive symptoms
- Hormone Imbalances
- Concentration/attention dysfunction
- Memory changes
- Dizziness, irritability
- Loss of appetite/body weight
- Skin burning/tingling/dermographism
- EEG changes
- Cancer (source)
Sources of EMF’s:
- Washer and dryer
- Electric blanket
- Hair dryer
- Coffee pot
- Vасuum сlеаnеrѕ
- Miсrоwаvе оvеnѕ
- Game systems
- WiFi routers
- Smart Meters
- Elесtriс ѕhаvеrѕ
- Air соnditiоnеrs
- Fluоrеѕсеnt lights
- Cell phone towers
- Satellite transmissions
- Radio and microwave communication systems
Does WiFi affect fertility?
The truth is we do not exactly know due to lack of studies done on humans It feels sort of odd writing that previous statement when we are all guinea pigs in a giant EMF experiment if you ask me….
Check out this study from the Journal Endocrine where the effects of mobile phone and wifi exposure on pregnant rats and their offspring were investigated. They were divided with different EMF exposures for 60 minutes a day while pregnant and here’s what happened in even low level exposure.
“In conclusion, although EMR exposure decreased the prolactin, estrogen, and progesterone levels in the plasma of maternal rats and their offspring, EMR-induced oxidative stress in the uteri of maternal rats increased during the development of offspring. Mobile phone- and Wi-Fi-induced EMR may be one cause of increased oxidative uterine injury in growing rats and decreased hormone levels in maternal rats.”
Yikes, that enough for me to think twice and limit my exposure.
How do you prevent EMF exposure?
- Turn your router off at night and cell phone in airplane mode, outside or across the room.
- If your cell phone is in your pocket or purse next to your body, turn it on airplane more.
- Hard wire your computer or laptop.
- Keep your laptop off of your lap or use a shied, like this one. Charge it and unplug during use.
- If you’re pregnant use a belly armor blanket to protect baby. I cover my toddler up with this one to keep his exposure low.
- Keep your cell phones, tablets, and devices away from your body and avoid Bluetooth devices when possible.
- Use headphones to speak instead of putting your phone to your ear.
- Sleep away from circuit breakers or large appliances that run overnight, even if the appliance is on the other side of the wall.
- Reconsider the necessity and seeming benefit of home gadgets from baby monitors to wearable tech.
- Use grounding practices like earthing and/or use an earthing mat.
- Himalayan salt lamps which can help mitigate the effects of exposure. You can also use a salt block in your kitchen!
- Eat a clean, antioxidant rich diet.
- Avoid using the microwave and stay away while in use.
How much EMF is dangerous?
This is a question that we don’t really yet have an answer to. Here’s what the World Health Organization has to say and keep in mind each country has their own guidelines.
It would be great to get our exposure to zero, but impossible, so it’s ideal we do our best to limit exposure to ourselves and our families.
How do I protect myself from WiFi EMF and my personal experience:
By using the suggestions above, you can begin to reduce your exposure, particularly while sleeping. I have personally noticed a huge difference in my sleep by turning my router off and keeping my phone on airplane mode, which tells me I’m doing something right for my body. My hands also burn when I use my cell phone too much, so I have been working to limit my exposure. We also got rid of our microwave a few years back and the oven works just as well. We are looking into meters and more for our home and will update you with what we have found!
Additional Resources linking EMF’s to hormonal imbalances and reproductive harm:
We are all in charge of our own health so I encourage you to spend some time looking through some of the following studies and trusting your own intuition, especially if you think EMF’s may be preventing you from getting pregnant.
I hope this post, are EMF’s preventing you from getting pregnant? Which way to reduce your EMF exposure will you try first?