See more details here.
First of all, “Fat Bomb” just sounds like a dangerous (and disgusting) concoction to be avoided like the plague. If you’ve been reading for awhile, you may know I have a bit of an adoration for chocolate and healthy snacks. Enter Fat Bombs….What are these little candied goodies? They are small candy sized bites of healthy fat certain to keep you feeling great and looking gorgeous. Read on for why they may be the perfect snack for you!
Why Should You Be Eating Fat Bombs?
Fat Bombs are loaded with healthy fats to support thyroid health, boost metabolism and they also increase energy.
Remember this post on why coconut oil totally rocks? Here’s a quick recap of coconut oil benefits:
- Slows signs of aging and reduce Alzheimer’s
- Boosts immunity through antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral properties
- Prevents cancer, heart disease, and high blood pressure
- Powerful anti-inflammatory (take that arthritis)
- Helps burn fat and build lean muscle
- Boosts memory and brain function
- Improves liver function and digestion
- Helps balance hormones
“When added to a balanced diet, coconut oil slightly lowers the cholesterol level, which is exactly what is expected when a dietary change raises thyroid function. This same increase in thyroid function and metabolic rate explains why people and animals that regularly eat coconut oil are lean, and remarkably free of heart disease and cancer.” – Ray Peat
It may sound counter intuitive to eat fat, especially if you want to lose fat, but because coconut oil contains MCT’s (medium chain triglycerides) which rev up metabolism.
Finally, the oh so easy recipe…..
Fat Bomb Recipe
Yield: about 18
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 2 T Ghee (omit if making vegan)
- 2 T Almond butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 T favorite liquid sweetener (raw honey, maple syrup , or brown rice syrup for vegan)
- 1/2 tsp Pink Himalayan salt
- 4 T raw cacao powder
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl or food processor until smooth.
- Drop by teaspoon onto waxed or parchment paper.
- Refrigerate until solid. Enjoy your Fat Bombs!