See more details here.
It’s that time of the year where my body seems to be craving anything green. I love Brussels sprouts and trying different recipes with them. That’s where this fun recipe for Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Avocado, and Lime came from.
Did you know?
Brussels sprouts provide high levels of sulforaphane, which has been shown to have protective effects for the liver, making it more efficient. When these key elements are combined, they protect the body against viral infections and cancer. The high concentration of Vitamin C also supports collagen production, creating better skin elasticity for a more youthful appearance. They’re also packed with essential vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids, which can help ease joint pain and improve your mood.
Avocado is an excellent source of glutathione, an important antioxidant that researchers say is important in preventing aging, cancer, and heart disease. So eating avocados literally help keep us young. They’re also the best fruit source of vitamin E, an essential vitamin that protects against many diseases and helps maintains overall health. And vitamin E is excellent for the skin, which is something we all want. They’re also loaded with folate (great for women of childbearing age) and good for our heart (1).
Research has shown that certain compounds in avocados are able to seek out pre-cancerous and cancerous oral cancer cells and destroy them without harming healthy cells. Avocado, like olive oil, is high in oleic acid, which has been shown to prevent breast cancer in numerous studies (2).
Lime essential oil benefits include aiding digestion, aiding in weight management, mental clarity, and is loaded with antioxidants.
Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Avocado, and Lime Recipe
Serves 4 (2 if making as dinner)
- 1lb brussels sprouts
- 2 slices organic bacon (I get mine here)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Avocado oil
- Salt and pepper
- A pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1-2 drops lime essential oil
- While you are slicing your Brussels, cook the bacon until crispy in a large skillet.
- Remove from pan.
- Add a little avocado oil to the pan (depending on how much bacon drippings were left over), and add your shredded (or halved) Brussels, garlic, and crushed red pepper.
- Cook for just a few minutes on medium heat until Brussels start to get tender.
- Mix in lime juice, essential oil (if using) and crumble bacon into the sprouts, then salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoot your sprouts over to the side of the pan, and add avocado slices–just to quickly warm each side. You don’t really want to stir them around into the sprouts or they will mash right in.
- When they are heated through, mix everything together and enjoy!
This is great for dinner too!! Sometimes we add a bit of quinoa and it’s a filling dish.
What’s your favorite way to cook Brussels?
CLICK HERE to Pin this Recipe:
Melissa Schollaert is a Holistic Health & Nutrition Counselor and founder of Real Nutritious Living. Helping others achieve their health goals to attain their healthiest, happiest life is her greatest ambition.PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. However, I only recommend products or services I have personally used myself and trust. MEDICAL DISCLAIMER: This content is not intended to diagnose or treat any disease, or as a substitute for medical advice. Please consult with your advising physician before starting any treatment for a medical condition. Real Nutritious Living, LLC shall not be held liable or responsible for any misunderstanding or misuse of the information contained on this site or for any loss, damage, or injury caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly by any treatment, action, or application of any food or food source discussed on this site.